We Complain of Not Having Enough Time


For close to fifteen years I have attended the majority of baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer and volleyball games and practices which both of my kids have attended. When my husband was alive, many times I took one child to a sport or event while he took the other to a different location. I couldn't even begin to count the number of hours spent standing around or sitting watching a game. Not to mention the number of hours spent sitting in the car driving to and from the sports or events. Now, while I like the fact that my children have been very active in sports, have made amazing new friends, been part of a team, having mostly awesome coaches, learning social skills and growing personally, something about it really bothers me!

As parents, we know we are meant to set boundaries, love unconditionally, be good role models and lead by example, I feel that many of us fall short in some areas! The main area that I'm talking about is the hanging around and waiting. Most team sports require that the athlete arrive at least half an hour before games, sometimes even before practices, and often times up to an hour before many games. I could spend door to door 4-5 hrs just to get to, watch and come home from a hockey game. Can you imagine, 5 hours? That's a heck of a chunk of time! Many of these games are played quite a distance from our homes, so we've sat in the car for the drive there and again on the way home. When we arrive at the desired location, our kids take off to do what they are required to do and we parents stand around chatting, usually about mindless stuff, or we get back in the car... sitting again... And drive to the nearest Tim's for that well needed coffee. We get our coffee and drive back to the location, only to wait, sitting or standing again!!!

What drives me crazy about all this hanging around is that we could be using that time to be productive. Standing is better than sitting... burns more calories! I get that. We complain about our kids lying around for hours on end playing video games or watching t.v. but we aren't doing anything different. Years ago I started to bring a book with me to read, or a puzzle book, work that can be done by computer, a way to try to use the time creatively. I get so bored talking to parents about local deals, what to make for dinner or about how the kids are doing at school! A few years ago I changed again and I've taken to working out during the waiting time. I go for a long walk, using benches, walls etc. outside to do various exercise and come back for the start of the game. I signed up 3 years ago to be the trainer on my daughter's hockey team. I facilitate the warm up sessions pregame and practice. It's good for me, my daughter sees me as an example, the girls respect me and the team performs better because they are in better physical shape. It is a win-win! This year I invited the parents to join me in the warm ups, they laughed at me! But seriously there are 168 hrs in a week, it only takes 3-4 of them to stay in relatively good shape. So the excuse isn't that we don't have enough time, it's that we are too lazy to make the best use of that time!

As I write this I am indeed at my daughter's baseball game! Usually when I arrive I run the hills in the park then do abdominal exercises. Doesn't cost a penny, no gym required, outside in fresh air and I can watch the game! So why don't you step out of your comfort zone and try something new at your child's next event or activity!

I am a Law of Attraction Life Coach, Parenting Coach, Counselor S.S.W. and Author

I have many years of experience working with children and parents in the Children's Aid facilitating the PRIDE course. I have worked in a group home setting and school setting, as well as the criminal justice system. My experience for many years, covered dealing with juvenile to adult offenders, facilitating peer groups of school age children, a peer support group of pregnant teens. Many years of my experience has been working with special needs kids, with mild intellectual delays to many variations of the Autism spectrum. I am the proud, sole parent of 2 terrific teens 1 boy, one girl.

We Complain of Not Having Enough Time We Complain of Not Having Enough Time Reviewed by Unknown on 1:28 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.